News you want to know — and what you can do about it.
Welcome to a new daily series at Shareblue Media, providing you with links to important news, interesting stories, useful information about actions of resistance — and a picture of President Barack Obama to keep you motivated.
- In response to Donald Trump’s racist and anti-immigrant agenda, the entire state of California is now a “sanctuary state”:
California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a “sanctuary state” bill on Thursday that will limit the extent to which local and state enforcement can cooperate with federal immigration officials. It’s the most significant legislative step in the state’s efforts to resist President Donald Trump’s anti-immigrant policies. […]
“These are uncertain times for undocumented Californians and their families, and this bill strikes a balance that will protect public safety, while bringing a measure of comfort to those families who are now living in fear every day,” Brown said in a signing statement.
The bill, authored by state Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D), was introduced prior to Trump’s inauguration. It seeks to limit the impact of Trump’s immigration crackdown, specifically his actions targeting so-called sanctuary cities.
- Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, the Democrat challenging Sen. Ted Cruz, is pushing back against Trump’s racist, anti-immigrant agenda with a bill to stop any wall:
Introduced bill to stop border wall construction on private property. Protect people & land. Stop the wall. https://t.co/XnL06NQj8z
— Beto O’Rourke (@BetoORourke) October 5, 2017
- California Democrat Dianne Feinstein introduced a new gun safety bill in the Senate just this week, but she already has a lot of support for it:
UPDATE: We now have 38 Senators on our bill to ban devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to mimic illegal automatic weapons. Let’s pass this bill!
— Sen Dianne Feinstein (@SenFeinstein) October 5, 2017
- As Democrats are fighting to do something about gun safety in the wake of the last horrific mass shooting in America, Republicans are, as per usual, hemming and hawing, sending “thoughts and prayers,” and otherwise claiming now is not the time. But now is the time. Here’s what you can do to make sure Congress stands up to the NRA and finally does something to combat gun violence:
— CAP Action (@CAPAction) October 4, 2017
- Danica Roem is running a historic campaign to be Virginia’s first openly transgender lawmaker. And she’s running against one of the state’s most virulently bigoted delegates in the State House, Republican Bob Marshall. This week, her campaign released its first ad. Check it out:
- From the amazing people who brought us the Women’s March comes something truly exciting: the Women’s Convention.
The Women’s Convention will bring thousands of women, femmes and our allies of all backgrounds to Detroit from October 27 – 29, 2017, for a weekend of workshops, strategy sessions, inspiring forums and intersectional movement building to continue the preparation going into the 2018 midterm elections.
Tapping into the power of women in leadership as the fundamental, grassroots force for change, the Women’s Convention will bring together first time activists and movement leaders, rising political stars that reflect our nation’s changing demographics, and thousands of women who’ve organized sister marches, huddles, rallies and resistance actions, large and small, since January 2017.
Participants will leave inspired and motivated, with new connections, skills and strategies for working towards collective liberation for women of all races, ethnicities, ages, disabilities, sexual identities, gender expressions, immigration statuses, religious faiths, and economic statuses.
The Women’s Convention is the beginning of a political groundswell, showing that the rise of the woman IS the rise of the nation.