News you need to know as you head into the weekend.
Welcome to a new daily series at Shareblue Media, providing you with links to important news, interesting stories, useful information about actions of resistance — and a picture of President Barack Obama because it’s Friday and you’ve earned it.
- Senate Republicans haven’t given up their heartless quest to repeal Obamacare and “replace” it with the pile of garbage that is the Graham-Cassidy bill — so you can’t give up, either. Join MoveOn members across the country outside lawmakers’ offices with the simple but urgent demand: “Do NOT take away our care!”
- Remember, Indivisible groups will also be out in force this Monday — join a sit-in or die-in at a lawmakers’ office near you to force your elected official to confront the reality of what this bill would do to millions of Americans. And as always, you can find resistance events in your area through Resistance Near Me.
- If you can’t make it to an event, you can still make your voice heard: Call 202-224-3121 to be directed to your senator’s office, or email your comments and concerns to email@example.com.
- You know who is on the side of the people against the GOP’s disastrous repeal effort? The National Association of Medicaid Directors — from all 50 states:
Any effort of this magnitude needs thorough discussion, examination and analysis, and should not be rushed through without proper deliberation. The legislative proposal would not even have a full CBO score until after its scheduled passage, which should be the bare minimum required for beginning consideration. With only a few legislative days left for the entire process to conclude, there clearly is not sufficient time for policymakers, Governors, Medicaid Directors, or other critical stakeholders to engage in the thoughtful deliberation necessary to ensure successful long-term reforms.
For these reasons, we encourage Congress to revisit the topic of comprehensive Medicaid reform when it can be addressed with the careful consideration merited by such a complex undertaking.
- It’s not just health care: resistance is needed on so many fronts, including against the fossil fuel industry. At fossilfuelresistance.org, you can find grassroots events across the country and take a stand for people and the environment.
- File this under “Not Surprising, But Still Infuriating”: Donald Trump is “assembling the most male-dominated government in decades.”
A new analysis shared exclusively with the Guardian has found that 80% of nominations for top jobs in the Trump administration have gone to men – putting Donald Trump on track to assemble the most male-dominated federal government in nearly a quarter-century.
Without a significant shift, men will outnumber women four-to-one in top positions of the Trump administration.
According to the Guardian, the White House “did not respond to questions about the gender breakdown.” Of course not. But we knew from early on that this administration was not exactly going to be the land of equal opportunity. But hey, can’t have the womenfolk taking spots away from all those poor, downtrodden Goldman Sachs employees desperately in need of a shinier gig!
- If the Trump administration is just having a hard time locating some ladies, here’s a place they can check: the United States Marine Corps.
In a historic first, the Marine Corps plans to assign a female officer to the infantry following her anticipated graduation from its grueling training program, service officials said Thursday …
The woman, whose name has not been disclosed, is the first female officer to complete the course out of three dozen to have tried. She is expected to lead an infantry platoon of about 40 Marines, a trailblazing role within an organization that has been criticized for its resistance to such change and for fostering a culture of misogyny.
Pretty sure if anyone will be able to demolish misogyny, it’s a Marine. Oorah!
- You know how all those conservatives were getting the vapors over Jimmy Kimmel having the audacity to talk about health care because, hey, he’s just some TV personality, some comedian. Yeah, about that:
Fox News: Jimmy Kimmel isn’t qualified to talk politics
Also Fox News: pic.twitter.com/oXjWTxqYS0
— Media Matters (@mmfa) September 21, 2017
Fox really ought to just change their slogan to IOKIYAR.